Before getting into the details about PTFE and PFOA free cookware it is very much necessary to know what actually is PTFE and PFOA or why you should avoid it while choosing the best nonstick cookware for your kitchen.
PFOA is a chemical that was used in the production of Teflon (PTFE) that is used as a coating in the making of non stick cookware.
However, it got banned in 2013 after it is found linked to severe health conditions such as thyroid, infertility, cancer, liver, and kidney diseases.
The short of Polytetrafluoroethylene is PTFE. PTFE is a greasy non stick solution that is used to coat non stick cookware. Before its banned, PFOA was used in the manufacturing of PTFE.
Currently, the PTFE coating is made with a combination of hydrofluoric acid, fluorspar, chloroform, and water.
This is considerably better as compare to the PFOA; however, it is not environmental friendly or safe to health as it gets melt at high temperature which causes it to leach hazardous substances in the food and toxic chemicals in the air.
Teflon coating can also flake off as a result of rough usage like metal utensils and abrasive washing pads.
- Is nonstick cookware harmful to health?
- Best non-stick pan without Teflon 2020 (Buyer’s Guide)
- Best nonstick pan material
- 1 Common PTFE and PFOA free Cookware
- 2 Benefits of PTFE and PFOA free Cookware
- 3 How to Take Care of your PTFE and PFOA free Cookware?
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions
- 5 Is PFOA still used in cookware?
Common PTFE and PFOA free Cookware
Stone Cookware ranks top the list when we discuss PFOA and PTFE cookware. It is a hard and sturdy material and chemically stable which makes it perfect for a variety of cooking techniques.
Although it has been served for a thousand years and even changing trends and innovation couldn’t beat its class. Rather the modernization adds more value to its traditional condiments.
Though it’s a bit heavier compared to other cookware but if you are looking for durable yet safest cookware then you can rely on stoneware without any doubt.
Copper Cookware Hard
Although Copper cookware is known for its matchless beauty but doesn’t underestimate the efficiency of this durable and corrosion-resistant material.
Apart from style and performance, this is comparatively lightweight and most importantly PFOA and PTFE free.
Due to its excellent heat conductivity and evenly distribution, it is considered the perfect base for the cookware.
It precisely regulates the temperature which keeps the food from scorching and your meals stay warm for much longer.
The only thing which shouldn’t be considered as a drawback is its price which is a bit expensive as compared to other cookware. But if you happen to buy, it’s worth every penny.
Anodized Aluminum Cookware
It is the most commonly used cookware and used in the manufacturing of various cookware.
It is nontoxic corrosion-resistant material that can efficiently withstand high temperatures. It ultra smooth surface is highly durable and doesn’t react with acidic foods.
Unlike cheap and low-quality aluminum this material doesn’t leach toxic chemicals into food.
Stainless Steel Cookware
It is again the most popular and mostly used cookware that has no health risk.
Due to its thin design and induction material, it is good at quickly absorbing heat and distributing it well to ensure evenly cooked food.
It is relatively cheap, lightweight, and offers effortless cleaning.
It is considered best for browning, steaming, or braising food. Due to its durability and long-lasting versatile performance it is the most in-demand kitchen workhorse.
It is also PTFE and PFOA free and doesn’t react with acidic foods.
Benefits of PTFE and PFOA free Cookware
- The first and foremost advantage is that it allows PTFE and PFOA free non stick cookware to offer healthy cooking. It cuts down the requirement of fats and oil due to its slick non stick surface. The greasy non stick layer prevents the food from sticking relatively to other traditional cookware thus requiring less oil for cooking ensuring a low-fat consumption.
- The reason being food doesn’t stick to the surface; PTFE and PFOA cookware is easy to clean. Hot soapy water with a soft sponge can help the cleaning done. Just wipe away any stains or food residue present on the non stick surface with a sponge. Remember not to use a scouring pad; it may cause scratches to the surface.
- Most people expect the PTFE and PFOA free non stick cookware to be expensive, but the truth is totally opposite. If you are looking to buy the best non stick cookware you will find a variety of premium quality PFOA free non stick pans and pots in a reasonable price range without even let you compromise on the quality you can get the best non stick pan or pot in your affordable range.
- PTFE and PFOA cookware is best for those who are inexperienced cooks or started cooking recently. As it keeps the food from burning or sticking easily; gives a space by letting the cooks chance of a little mishandling or time lapsing in stirring or turning for the food.
- As compare to traditional PTFE or PFOA made non stick coating, PTFE and PFOA cookware doesn’t react to high temperature. That’s why professional cooks or cooks at home prefer PFOA free non stick pan and pots to sear, fry, brown or bake in PTFE and PFOA free non stick cookware.
How to Take Care of your PTFE and PFOA free Cookware?
Buying the best non stick cookware is not crucial but its handling does. Good handling and maintenance help to preserve the non stick coating thus adding years to its lifespan.
Here are few guidelines that will help you keep your nonstick pan in good shape otherwise a scratched non stick pan may compromise the quality of your health-conscious diet.
- No matter what the manufacturer claim always use plastic, wooden or silicon-based utensils. Most brands claim their cookware to be metal-utensil safe which later proves to be a marketing tactic. Never buy such advertisement claims because metal utensils are potentially harmful to the non stick coating and cooking in a scratched non stick pan could be harmful.
- Never use abrasive washing pads or steel wool to clean your PTFE and PFOA free cookware. Always use warm water with dishwashing and a soft sponge to wipe away all the food particles if you find it hard let it soak in hot soapy water for a while and later clean it with a sponge. A slight negligence will leave you with a scratched non stick pan or pot.
- Always keep the temperature of your stovetop low to medium. High heat not only cause your ingredients to burn or stick but also play part in flaking off the non stick coating.
- You might have purchased the best non stick pan but it doesn’t assure you durability for rough use. Don’t let your non stick pans or pots unwashed with food residue for longer periods of time. Always wash them right away after every use.
- Don’t use your non stick PTFE and PFOA free cookware for storing meal in the refrigerator. Continuous practicing this may compromise the non stick coating and result in a rusty appearance.
- Avoid extreme temperatures. A sudden change in temperature is not good for the non stick layer of your PTFE and PFOA free cookware. If you have just finished cooking let the pan or pot to cool down before going to wash it.
- Never trust the “Dishwasher safe” statement. You may not find it initially but later after sometime you will get to know that non stick cookware is not made for dishwasher no matter how expensive or sturdy they are.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is PTFE and PFOA free?
It means that the cookware is not manufactured with manmade plastic or hazardous coating that could leach into food while cooking on extreme temperatures and flake off while using metal utensils.
What is PTFE and PFOA free cookware?
PTFE and PFOA free cookware mean that the cookware is free from PFOA, PTFE and there are no hazardous chemicals or plastic compounds used in the manufacturing process.
PTFE and PFOA cookware are either ceramic or enamel coated cookware mostly known as healthy cookware for their non toxic functionality.
Is PFOA still used in cookware?
Till 2013 Teflon or PTFE was producing through PFOA which was got banned after found links to serious health conditions.
However, several non stick cookware brands claim that their cookware is the best non stick cookware and doesn’t contain PFOA but still using other fluoropolymers with the same properties and effects as of PFOA.
What is the healthiest non stick pan?
If you are looking for the healthiest yet safest pan what could be other than Lodge cast iron preseason pan.
It ranks tops amongst the healthiest PFOA free non stick pans as it is completely non-toxic, durable, adds versatility to your cooking, and provides a wonderful flavor to your dishes
Is ceramic nonstick pan safest than Teflon?
Thus the ceramic coating is composed of different mineral-based blends it doesn’t need PFOA coating.
Ceramic non stick cookware is comparatively safer than Teflon but you need to make thorough research before buying the best non stick pan or pot in ceramic ware.
Because not all ceramic cookware are designed for food preparation and may contain harmful chemicals.