Viking 5 ply cookware is the right set of pots and pans that offer its home users to experience professional grade cooking results. Considering the quality of this line and the Viking 5 ply cookware reviews, we though to discuss the background details about the brand and the significant benefits the cookware provides.
- 1 What does ply Cookware Mean?
- 2 What does 5-ply Mean in Cookware?
- 3 Advantages of 5-ply Cookware
- 4 Overview of Viking Cookware
- 5 What’s Special in Viking 5 ply Cookware?
- 6 Material Types of Viking 5-ply Cookware
- 7 Why Viking 5-ply is So Expensive?
- 8 Viking 5-Ply Cookware Sets In 2 Different Material Types
- 9 Frequently Asked Questions
What does ply Cookware Mean?
In the cookware world, the word ply refers to the layers of metals used in the construction of the pot or pan. Each ply or metal layer has its own purpose in the construction of the cookware, combining multiple layers of metals utilizes their properties to enhance the overall performance. In 3-ply cookware, aluminum is the core sandwiched between the two outer layers of stainless steel; likewise in 5-ply cookware, it consists of 5 layers of metals with three different layers of aluminum as core and two layers of stainless steel on the inside and outside as well.
The addition of multiple layers in the construction of the cookware makes it expensive but brings exclusive performance to the cooking. The price also varies on the layers used and the material used in between the stainless steel exterior while the inner material is mostly aluminum or copper core.
Though stainless steel is considered a poor conductor of heat; but manufacturers use stainless steel as an exterior for its durability and ability to performance on various heat sources. The thermal conductivity then depends upon the inner core, which is why aluminum and copper core considered best as they have high thermal efficiency and are excellent at distributing heat quickly and evenly.
What does 5-ply Mean in Cookware?
5-ply cookware is made of using 5 layers of metals. Consisting of one or two layers of external stainless steel layers cladding an aluminum or copper core; sometimes all these three metals are used using copper as the middle core between aluminum layers and finally covered with stainless steel exterior. The purpose is to use thermally conductive layer as an inner core to enhance the thermal conductivity which further improves the cooking experience.
There are different configurations used as discussed, but each configuration use thermally conductive layer as an inner core to enhance the thermal conductivity which further improves the cooking experience and exterior of stainless steel to provide a durable, non-reactive, less maintenance and induction compatible bottom.
According to experts, additional thickness of 5-ply cookware reduces the risk of corrosion and warping. Since 5-ply has additional layers, it is heavier and more expensive than the 3-ply cookware.
Advantages of 5-ply Cookware
- 5-ply pots and pans are thicker than 3-ply pots and pans make them resistant against, warping and corrosion.
- Compared to traditional and low quality non stick pots and pans, 5-ply cookware is more versatile. They are highly durable to withstand extreme high heat up to 500F and sometimes more than that.
- The 5-ply construction is compatible with various heat sources including, gas, electric, halogen, ceramic, oven and induction.
- The aluminum core used in the middle provides fast and even heat distribution, eliminating the risk of hot spots while improving the cooking experience.
- The more layers of 5-ply pots and pans ensure more heat conductivity with better heat retention relatively to 3-ply, single layered or traditional non stick cookware
- The interior stainless steel cooking surface is non-porous, easy to clean and does not react with ingredients, change color or alter taste.
- 5-ply construction offers precise temperature control, so you can prepare delicate dishes such as pan cakes, pasta, sauces, and risottos. The cookware allows uniform heat across the surface with nominal grease or oil to sear or braise food.
- Since 5-ply has incredible heat distribution properties, it uses less energy to achieve desired cooking temperature.
Overview of Viking Cookware
Founded by Fred Carl, Jr., Viking produced its first commercial grade range in 1984. Initially it was the manufacturer of luxury and innovative appliances. At that time there was no concept of using professional cookware range by home cooks but in addition to this Viking started to make refrigerators, range hoods, dishwashers, and outdoor grills. Currently it is one of the top premium grade kitchen appliance manufacturers across the world. The Mississippi-based company is known for manufacturing high end kitchen appliances, refrigerators, dishwashers and grills.
Though Viking is commonly associated with innovative appliances, the company continues to expand its production in various fields and one of the production lines is called as Viking Culinary which produces and sells cookware, bake ware, knives, stainless steel utensils, and heavy duty pot racks.
Viking constructs its pots and pans by bonding steel with heat conductive materials such as aluminum and copper to offer professional grade cooking experience by providing even quick heat distribution.
Mostly people complain about its expensive price range; however, the truth is the brand is associated with luxury products. The cookware lines introduced are well constructed with premium grade materials. This is the reason, the price seems to be a bit higher than the traditional cookware; however, the Viking 5 ply cookware reviews suggests it the best in the market.
The brand offers a mix of tri ply and multi clad stainless steel cookware, including brushed and polished stainless steel, non stick hard-anodized aluminum, hammered copper, and cast iron. Most of their low cost cookware line is made in China while the rest is made in USA.
What’s Special in Viking 5 ply Cookware?
Viking 5 ply cookware is constructed of multiple high-quality layers of stainless steel, aluminum, or copper. Aluminum is known for quick and even distribution and copper is good for distribution and retention of heat. The stainless steel exterior and layer makes it suitable for all kinds of cooking tops including gas, electric, ceramic, halogen, oven and induction.
All the pots and pans included in the cookware have their handles attached by riveting, for providing a guaranteed grip with comfort and strain free maneuvering. The metal lids of Viking 5 ply cookware are super sturdy and tightly fixed to lock the steam for better circulation of heat inside the pans; moreover they can stand temperature up to 400F.
The both 5- ply lines of Viking cookware pots and pans offer elegant looks. The stainless steel line looks classy with its mirror polished surface while the hard anodized line looks stylish with its dark exterior. Both have ergonomically designed dual riveted handles that are designed to stay cool on cooktops. The sauté and casserole pans have an additional helper handle for providing additional supportin handling
The flared sides of pans provided easy sautéing, stirring, and flipping ingredients while the flared rims of the pots allows smooth drip free pouring to maintain your kitchen counters clean.
Viking 5 ply cookware has stainless steel lids that are heavy in weight and sturdy to stand the temperature of an oven up to 400F. The lids are provided with a durable loop handle that is double riveted offering much room for the hand to grip perfectly.
The long ergonomically designed handles are dual riveted to provide you a strong grip with comfort so that users can carry filled pots and pans with complete safety. The round hole at the edge of each handle comes handy to hang the pans and pots on the kitchen railing in case you have a limited storage space.
Material Types of Viking 5-ply Cookware
Viking 5-ply Stainless Steel Cookware
- The Viking 5-ply stainless steel cookware has the best stainless steel pans and pots, constructed with five layers of metals combined together to perform like a single layer to provide a uniform effect. It utilizes three aluminum layers cladded in between the stainless steel layers.
- The premium grade aluminum layers allows better heat distribution throughout the cooking surface, enables the pots and pans to reach uniform temperature quickly for even cooking results.
- The stainless steel exterior makes it suitable for all kinds of heat sources including the induction and oven.
- The set includes the best stainless steel pans and pots that help in handling different cooking tasks efficiently and last long if cared properly.
- All the handles are long and durably attached by means of double rivets to offer much sturdiness and confidence in handling and maneuvering.
Viking 5-ply Hard Anodized Aluminum
- The Viking 5-ply hard anodized cookware set is coated with PFOA free non stick coating that does not only prevent sticking food but also make cleaning a breeze. Unlike traditional non stick cookware, it is durable, scratch resistant and doesn’t come off easily.
- Apart from the non stick coating, the cookware is constructed of high quality hard anodized aluminum that transfers heat across the bottom and sides of the cookware quickly and effectively.
- Provided with measurement lines to help in addition and reduction of ingredients.
- Three layers of non sick coating wrapped on the aluminum material withstand the wear and tear of daily use.
- The cookware is compatible with all the cooktops including oven, grill and induction.
- Unlike the traditional non stick cookware, cleaning the cookware is a breeze. You can clean them in the dishwasher.
- The tempered glass lids and ergonomically designed handles are cherry on top. Allowing you to maneuver with comfortability and keep a check on your cooking.
Why Viking 5-ply is So Expensive?
Viking is a cookware brand that is associated with luxury and innovative products, the cookware is its additional line. Since the product is already known for professional state-of-the-art appliances, the manufacturer doesn’t want to perform below the belt for its cookware line. This is why their cookware line also exists among top of the line luxury kitchenware items and is priced accordingly.
Apart from the brand name associated with the pots and pans, their cookware lines are well made using high quality materials utilizing the top technological trends for the construction. People consider it overpriced; however, the experts suggests otherwise. The method and technologies they use to produce best stainless steel pans and hard anodized cookware makes it apart from the traditional cookware and that’s why the Viking 5 ply cookware reviews has gained overwhelm consumer’s response.
Viking 5-Ply Cookware Sets In 2 Different Material Types
This 10 piece set is the best5-ply stainless steel cookware that is especially made with commercial grade quality for home chefs. The collection includes all the main items needed to accomplish the everyday cooking tasks. The 5-ply design allows maximum heat distribution that prevents the use of maximum energy making it the best Viking stainless steel cookware. Moreover, the multi clad construction efficiently reduces the risks of hot spots and prevent warping or corrosion.
Constructed of 5 layers that includes exterior layer of magnetic stainless steel is versatile and supportive to various heat sources including induction, the next three layers are of aluminum alloy that comes in the middle bonded to the 18/10 stainless steel interior. The stainless steel is non reactiveand safe to cook, it does not alter the taste or color of ingredients. Since it lacks the non stick coating, you may need to stay vigilant while frying, stirring, or braising to make sure using enough grease so that the ingredients don’t get stick. Moreover, cleaning is a bit time taking and you need to make extra efforts using scrub and dishwashing cleaners.
The product has achieved 4.5 out of 5 starts in Amazon Viking 5 ply cookware reviews. The cookware is said to be expensive but offers professional grade cooking experience that any other contemporary cookware may fail to offer. This is why the expert suggests it the best 5-ply stainless steel cookware available in market.The exterior magnetic stainless steel bottom is highly versatile and compatible to almost all stovetops including grill, broiler, induction, and oven with the ability to stand up to 600F.
The ergonomically designed, dual riveted stay cool handles are makes the maneuverability easy by delivering much balance and control.The professional grade best Viking stainless steel cookware includes two different sized fry pans without lids, two saucepans, one stockpot and one sauté pot with lids. The cookware is said to be dishwasher safe provided with a limited lifetime warranty.
With this 5-ply construction that includes four layers of treated aluminum, this cookware set offers more versatile cooking experience with longevity and durability. The pots and pans are designed to offer an incredible heat transfer to support all the various cooking needs. You can use these pans with ovens, broilers, and grills. The tough and sturdy stainless steel construction with the help of aluminum layers is compatible to withstand almost all the cooktops including grill, broiler, induction and oven up to 500F.
The ergonomically designed, Viking signature handle comes with a stay-cool feature that makes sure that you do not get hurt for touching or maneuvering it while it’s on the cooktop. The Viking 5 ply hard anodized cookwareset is an amazing option for achieving exceptional browning and searing experience with the help of a polished stainless steel cooking surface. The polished interior surface is not only non reactive but is safe from any toxic elements that may flake or peel just like in any traditional cookware. The interior featured with internal measurement markings help in adding the ingredients precisely as required.
As per the Viking 5 ply cookware reviews, these are the best Viking pots and pans as they are dishwasher safe provided and with a limited lifetime warranty. With the aluminum exterior, the stainless steel cookware consists of 5 quart Dutch oven with cover, 4 quart sauté pan with cover, 2 quart and 3 quart sauce pans with covers, 8 inch and 10 inch fry pans respectively. This amicable and versatile combination provides an amazing culinary experience without getting warped or stained. The interior with four durable aluminum layers makes it the best Viking pots and pans among the other cookware lines that efficiently distribute the heat across the surface of the cookware in combination with the polished stainless steel interior ensuring a wonderful frying, browning, searing, experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Viking a good brand?
Viking has been in the cookware industry for quite some time and currently it is leading the market with its premium grade range, elegant design in line with the demands of any modern kitchen. The brand has the best 5-ply stainless steel cookware and Viking 5 ply hard anodized cookware popular among the consumers and as per the Viking 5 ply cookware reviews known for their exceptional performance. If you are buying it for the first time, then Viking is worth every penny and will serve you a lifetime.
Is Viking cookware dishwasher safe?
No doubt the company has the best Viking pots and pans that are dishwasher safe except for the cast iron cookware range for which hand washing recommended.
What is 5-ply cladded cookware?
A 5-ply cookware is constructed of five different layers of metals. It is mostly wrapped under the two stainless steel exterior layers on the inside and outside with aluminum core in between them. Sometimes it’s the copper core reinforced between the aluminum layers and further cladded with stainless steel. Since stainless steel is durable to stand heat sources, the aluminum and copper cores are known for quick and even heat conductivity.
Are Viking pans nonstick?
Viking 5 ply hard anodized cookwareset is comprised of heavygauge hard anodized aluminum with PFOAfree nonstick cooking that ensures easy food release, durability, scratch resistance and effortless cleanup.
Is all Viking cookware made in USA?
All the Viking cookware is made in China; except for their best Viking stainless steel cookware that is the Viking 5-ply stainless steel Professional line is made in USA.