Kitchenware items are easy to stock up and even easier to replace, but non stick cookware has another story. Non stick pots and pans are very special you don’t buy a non stick pan to replace it anytime soon. The reason is they are expensive and delicate items help you to cook a healthy meal and cleaning them is a breeze. A slight scratch or damage may compromise the quality of the food and even the life of the best non stick pan. That is why it is important to know the handling techniques for keeping these items in the long run. And not only this; it is crucially important to know when to throw away non stick pans as keep using a damaged one may cause severe health concerns.
Signs When to Throw Away Non stick Pans:
Many manufacturers offer a warranty that covers a replacement item. Not only this there are few techniques that can help to fix your scratched or rusty non stick pans. However, it is necessary to know the signs of irreparable damage and understand when to throw away non stick pans to avoid any uncertain health conditions.
- A warped pan compromises the quality of your food. In order to ensure a healthy cooked food that is safe for consumption, you need to toss off your damaged non stick pan.
- A slight discoloration is not a big issue, generally, it is caused by food build with the passage of time. But when it gets dark then it is the sign of a damaged non stick surface.
- If you find scratches, on the surface of your non stick pan it means the quality of your nonstick pan has been compromised, and if you keep using them the scratched coating can leach into your food which will result in critical health issues.
How to Fix Scratched Non Stick Pan:
All of us, who use non stick pans experience the issue of scratching non sticksurface.There are times we question ourselves while keep observing our non stick pans whether its really time to replace or when to throw away non stick pan. However, if you find it before time and you are wondering how to fix scratched non stick pan; then we recommend you to read the guidelines we have concluded for you. You will be amazed to find the incredible results with these simple yet affordable techniques.
- Once your pan is thoroughly cleaned; season or grease your non stick pan with any vegetable oil or canola oil, and leave it on your cooking unit with low heat for a minute or two.
- Now turn off the stove and let the pan stay on room temperature for some time to cool down.
- Use a paper towel to wipe off the excess oil and dry it.
Following this method, you can keep the food from sticking to your pan’s surface. In case you don’t find satisfactory results from the above-mentioned method and still thenon stick coating coming off. We are sharing one more method to help you know how to fix scratched non stick pan.
- Add 1 glass of white vinegar into some water; gently stir the liquid to mix both the ingredients.
- Now heat your pan and let the solution boil for 10 minutes.
- Then add 2 tablespoons of baking soda; this will react with the vinegar and form bubbles that help to deeply clean and releasing burnt stains stick to your pan’s surface.
- Finally, take the pan off the stove and let it cold. Throw out the mixture, wash the pan gently with hot water and detergent using a soft sponge, and dry the pan with a soft cloth.
- Season it with canola oil or any cooking oil available in your kitchen.
Is It Safe to Use Scratched Non Stick Pan:
The non stick coating is sensitive to rough use, metal utensils, abrasive scrubbing pads, and high heat. However; nonstick pans get scratched with the passage of time. Using a scratched non stick pan is hazardous; it releases toxic compounds by releasing nonstick coating into your food.
If your non stick pan coating coming off and you are wondering is it safe to use scratched non stick pan then we recommend you to try to fix it with the above techniques we mentioned before tossing it off. When the non stick coating flakes off it makes the frying pan stickier.
We have seen people debating over the internet that is it safe to eat non stick coating or not? Well even if it does safe then what’s the reason to take the risk. Even the best non stick pans release perfluorooctanoic acid and toxic fumes on high heat which can lead to severe health conditions.
Also read these articles:
- Is nonstick cookware harmful to health?
- Best non-stick pan without Teflon 2020 (Buyer’s Guide)
- Can you Put Non Stick Pans in the Dishwasher?
How to Handle of Non Stick Pans:
The best way to avoid any possible damages to your non stick pan and worrying about how to fix scratched nonstick pans and pots; properly maintain and carefully handle procedures your cooking ware as needed.As we have already discussed when to throw away non stick pans; now we want to share some incredible ideas that will help increase the life of your non stick pan and to keep up your highly expensive best non stick pans in good shape.
- The first and foremost thing is to realize when to throw away non stick pan; if the non stick pan coating coming is off or visibly deteriorating with excessive scratches then take no chance by keeping them in your kitchen.
- Avoid preheating an empty pan; they can reach high temperatures within seconds, causing potentially harmful polymer fumes to release. Always put your ingredients food or liquid in your non stick pan before you preheat it.
- Don’t cook at high temperatures, always keep the stove on medium or low heat and avoid broiling.
- Make sure your kitchen is properly ventilated; turn on your exhaust fan or open up the windows to let the fumes escape while cooking.
- Is it safe to eat non stick coating? No! not at all. Using metal utensils may result in ingesting non stick coating instead use wooden or silicone utensils. Metal utensils cause scratches to the non stick surface which results in reducing the life of your non stick cookware.
- Avoid using abrasive scouring pads or steel wool; they can scratch the surface. Gently wash your non stick pans with a sponge using warm soapy water or dish-washing liquid.
You must be wondering if, is it safe to use scratched non stick pan or somehow if it gets into your food is it safe to eat non stick coating?
Well a good strategy is to replace or toss your non tick pan as soon as you find the signs we mentioned above while discussing when to throw away non stick pans. Keep an eye on your non stick pots and pans; when they start to appear warped, stained, or scratched, stop using them right away.